Sunday, June 13, 2010

Not Ally McBeal

I recently started re-watching the great lady lawyer show of the nineties: Ally McBeal. Why? Well frankly, I needed a reminder of why I went to law school. Yes, you read that right, I think I went to law school because of Ally McBeal.
I was young and impressionable when I watched the show. I remember being in high school and on Monday nights, after Melrose Place, my mom, my brother and I would enjoy Jiffy Brownie sundaes' and watch Ally McBeal. Now this wasn't the first lawyer show I fell in love with. Before I coveted the life of Ally McBeal, I was intrigued by Perry Mason. His riveting trials and ability to always discover that the witness was actually the one who did it! How amazing. So, you see when I graduated from a mid-western Big Ten University and discovered that my education qualified me for a pay grade less than I had hoped, law school seemed the answer. After all, what fun Ally had wearing short skirts and trying cases with seemingly no legal merit! Although, at the time, I had no idea that the cases were not the norm in court rooms. In fact, my second view of Ally McBeal, I'm on season two, disc 5, has been very eye opening. I now see why law school had such an appeal! What could be more fun then hanging out with your friends during the day, having two lawyers on each case, having only one case at a time and going to the bar with a lounge singer each evening!! But as it turns out, and not surprising to anyone, the actual practice of law is not the short skirt wearing, cocktail drinking, one case at a time, fun experience. So, what is the point? So I will use this blog to vent a little about the frustrations of my day, comment on the parallels and contrasts of Ally McBeal and most of all, do what people love to do most of all.... talk about myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment